Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Vin Diesel's Ambiguous Racial Derivation

Is Vin Diesel black? Is he white? Is he mocachino? Just what is he? After reading the Details Magazine cover story in the June/July issue I still haven't the faintest idea. Here's what they say:

"In real life, Diesel's father (technically his stepfather, who came into Diesel's life when he was 1, he has never met his biological father) was an actor and a director of some racial background, reputed to be African American. His mother was a strologer-psychologist, and in addition to his younger sister, he has one younger brother and a blonde blue eyed fraternal twin brother."

Say what?

The article continues:

"The monologue at the end of (Vin Diesel's indie breakout film) Multi-Facial is something close to a manifesto. In it, Diesel describes going as a child to see his father play the lead in A Raisin in the Sun and thinking that everything his father said was related to him. After referring to a scene in which his father, playing a father, talks on stage about pride, he concludes: For years I thought he wanted me to act just like him, to be a black actor, like Danny Glover or Sidney Poitier or Morgan Freeman. Just like my dad. But I was never black enough. My dad died last year. And only then did I realize how ignorant I was ... My dad was a black actor. But he wanted me to go one step further. He wanted me to be an actor. Just an actor. That's what he meant when he said proud."

Okay: I still don't know what his race is but that overblown speech certainly qualifies him as a ham.

Ed. Note: Because of a meeting tommorrow, I won't be doing the blog. Sorry.



10 comments:

The Corsair said...

eyespy, baby, I'm just playing. Are you really a celebrity?

The Corsair said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

eyespy,
are you kidding me with that bullshit? and no it doesnt matter, he's just wondering like every other person out there.

Anonymous said...

A few years back, I went to school with Mr. Diesel's younger brother, and I was fortunate enough to talk with him on a few occasions.
And honestly, he's one of the nicest, most intersting people I've ever met, and he has a great sense of humor.

It's interesting stumbling across this, because I never had given much thought about Mr. Diesel's past. I'd just kind of come to think about that big blank as being a part of who he and his brother (that I knew) were.
Looking back, it seems, like it kind of made their personalities stand out more I guess

Personally though, it doesn't matter much to me where Mr. Diesel came from, because he became who he wanted to be, and managed to make a name for himself, which by my book counts for a heck of a lot.

Anonymous said...

i believe that vin is of many races and one of them just happens to be black. i myself am half both balck and white unlike vin diesel i can not hide my races it's aparent to everyone my sister how ever could pass and dose pass for white look i love who i am we are all beauitful no matter what race we are god bless

Anonymous said...

anonymous... did you go to VCS if so what year?

Anonymous said...

he loooks chicano to me!

Anonymous said...

well i looke at a Jet magazine and the cover story was about buffed black celebrities. not exactly sure of the terminology lol. but he was one of those featured in the article. that tells me...he's black. but it doesnt matter, he's cute as it is

bears2005 said...

Vin is black and italian fools. Ya'll didn't know that. Keep up on the ethnicity.

muebles madrid said...

Hey, there's a lot of helpful information here!