Saturday, December 20, 2008

Roddy Piper: The Wrestler Is Not My Story .. But It Is My Story



Remember Captain Lou Albano? Remember Roddy Piper? He was a scrappy little wrestler -- 230 lbs -- in the pre-steroidal era when everyone became monsterously huge? He allegedly lost his ear to Greg Valentine in a "dog collar and chain match" during Starrcade? He apparently cried during a screening for The Wrestler (which has got to win Rourke the Oscar). He also famously busted open Jimmy Snuka's head with a coconut (which is not so bad considering the so-called "Superfly" Snuka was a wife-beater). From LA Times:

"A few days ago, I had the opportunity to chat with 'The Wrestler' director Darren Aronofsky, the 39-year-old Harvard grad who has acquired something of a cult following since making his directorial debut a decade ago.

"Aronofsky broke a little news at one point, reporting that he would be in Connecticut today to host a private screening of 'The Wrestler' for Vince McMahon, who is the controversial chairman of the former World Wrestling Federation (now known as World Wrestling Entertainment) and is in many ways the most enduring face of the sport.

"It will be interesting to learn whether McMahon, whose personal finances are directly linked to the public's feelings about wrestling, received it as graciously as many of the former professional wrestlers who have already seen it at various screenings that. One, 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, became emotional as he told the filmmakers, 'It's not my story... but it is my story.'"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I was never a huge wrestling fan, but my ex-boyfriend was so I was a good sport and watched plenty of it with him. Rowdy Roddy Piper was my favorite of all the wrestlers. Did you ever see the sci-fi movie "They Live" starring Roddy? Loved him!

The Corsair said...

Piper was the bad guy I loved to hate, so genius his persona. Favorite Roddy Piper quote from "They Live" : "I came here to chew bubblegum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum"