Monday, February 09, 2009

Chuck Todd: "I'm Trying To Ask The Kitchen Table Questions"



NBC News Political Director Chuck Todd, the goateed guru of politics -- and we thought that was us -- was on C-Span's "Washington Journal" yesterday morning in front of the talking head shows. He was, as usual, informative (Why did the NBC suits give the MTP slot to David Gregory). He spoke about Howard Dean, who a caller mentioned as a good possible choice to head HHD after Daschle crashed and burned. Todd informed the viewers that Obama made the announcement of Tim Kaine to replace Dean at the DNC when "(Dean) was not in the country." The insider DC gossip continued, as Todd noted that the difficulties between the Obama administration and Dean, who, arguably, helped Obama win with his 50-state strategy, may lie in Rahm Emmanuel, the administration's chief of staff. "I have a feeling that Rahm Emanuel and Howard Dean have similar personalities," Todd explained, "let's call them alpha males and leave it at that."

Chuck Todd also explained what he tries to bring to NBC via his reporting. "I'm trying to ask the kitchen table question, the question my mom and grandmother want to know." That journalistic philosophy is similar to that of Todd's mentor, the late Tim Russert. In an excerpt from his book "Big Russ and Me" on the Reader's Digest web site:

"On Saturday I called Dad: 'I'm going to be on Meet the Press tomorrow. Any advice?"

"'Pretend you're talking to me,' Big Russ said. 'Don't get too fancy. Don't talk that Washington talk. Ask questions that my buddies at the legion hall would want to know about." It was good counsel and, as usual, I took it.'"


More here.

No comments: